Sunday, June 15, 2014

My History With Running Injuries



Early days:

I discovered running in high school almost by accident. I decided to go out for high school track although my motive was really just to get my schedule changed. I was already a senior and had never run at all before so I was never competitive.  I didn’t realize at the time that a lifelong love of movement and running was starting for me.  In those days (1968) there was really no clear concept of running form and no real instruction in how to run.  We didn’t have computers or video cameras. There were 8 millimeter film cameras, but they were not in common use for runners.  There was no slow motion or still photo analysis. Yes, sometimes coaches would yell “relax your arms” or “run tall”. But what does that really mean and how could that teach you to run like the best runners?  It was common to hear coaches tell runners to land on the heel first – heel to toe running. Coaches seemed to have some ideas about over striding was, and might tell you not to do it, but they weren’t necessarily good at explaining their ideas. There was no Chi Running, no Pose Method Running, or any of the popular programs that exist today, no real instruction at all. There were the talented runners and the rest of us. 


Victim of injuries:
One of the first running injuries I developed was a stress fracture in the lower leg – tibia. It happened at the end of a half mile run at PR pace. I finished the run and had trouble even showering and getting my clothes on. I had trouble driving home and walking was painful.  That was the end of my running for months. When I did start running again, I ran only on dirt for quite a while thinking that the softer terrain would protect me. It helped, and it was a good adjustment for me.  What I didn’t realize was that it was mainly the way I was running that caused the injury, not the surface I was running on.  I blamed external circumstances even though I had probably been ignoring warning signs for some time. I didn’t run much when I was doing construction work but when I returned to running later. I learned about other running injuries. I once had a severe bout of IT band syndrome. That can be a discouraging injury when you don’t understand it. I went to a physical therapist for that one and received a little help and was so relieved to find that I could run again. But I hadn’t really learned much about the cause and so years later I when through another round of IT band problems. This time it was not as severe because I had learned a bit more about anatomy, runners stretches and even a little about body usage.  Over the years I accumulated experience with ankle sprains, knee problems, hip stress,  plantar fasciitis etc. 

The Crisis and the Shift in View Point:
Injuries As Learning Experiences.
When I was around was around 50 years old I fell off a roof and broke my right ankle. It swelled, and bruised clear up to my knee.  The medial malleolus (the large protrusion on the inside of the ankle) had fractured. I went immediately to the doctor to get an x-ray after work but the doctor’s office was closed. I worked with an air cast on the next day. I thought I just had a very severe sprain and eventually it felt like it had healed poorly. I eventually got an x-ray and MRI and was able to get surgery to repair the ankle. The surgery was successful and my ankle healed well. But in the meantime I had developed knee problems due in large measure to compensating for a weak ankle. An x-ray and MRI revealed degenerative changes in the knee and narrowing of the joint spacing on the medial side of the knee. The orthopedic surgeon recommended that I not run anymore. 

I was not ready to accept that idea. I went on a search for answers. I went first to Physical Therapy. The particular clinic I went to did some standard things and I could tell right away that they were making things worse.  I went in search of someone who had given a talk I heard once and eventually got in touch with him. This person was also a PT by degree, but he understood runners and was himself an ultra runner. He understood how self organization impacts running. He helped me understand on a different level the subject of somatic education that I was just beginning to investigate. Within a few years of my injury I enrolled in a Feldenkrais Professional Training program.  I can now run farther than when I was young  and I rarely have injuries that side line me for long.  I now know that we can often even use running as a means of healing. 

The paradigm shift for me has been changing the question- what is wrong with my knee when I do this to what I am I doing with my entire self organization to produce this problem?  The focus shifts from the body part to the learning process and safer organization of the entire running form on an individual level. 

Giving Back
If you would like to learn more about what the teachings of Dr Feldenkrais can do for runners, I am offering a free video analysis, free phone consultation, and free learning lesson for Father’s Day June 15 – 17 only. Take advantage of this free online offer by clicking here. If you live in the Bend Oregon area the offer will run from June 15 -20.  Just email us at the address below to set up your free sessions or call us at 541-536-4822

Thanks and Happy Fathers Day to Fathers and families
Scott
 

No comments:

Post a Comment