Sunday, March 9, 2014

Having A Purpose Is Knowing What You Want



First, I would like to say a sincere thank you to all of you who took the time to answer the brief survey I recently sent out. It gave me a chance to know you better. I will be directing my blog posts toward the concerns you voiced. I will be sending out two posts this week on two different subjects.

I asked the question do you need help in clarifying your purpose in running or in life.  Have you ever heard the phrase “that person really knows what they are doing”? That might be a common response when you have listened to someone who has impressed you a lot.  A favorite quote of mine is-“If you know what you are doing, you can do what you want” M. Feldenkrais.  However, for the purposes of this article I would like you to think of the reverse. You do not know what to do if you are not clear on what you want. This is one of the biggest hurdles that people face when they do anything.  They are not really clear on what they want.  If we don’t know what we want we leave some of the magic on the table. We do a collection of actions that are vaguely what we want but are not completely satisfying. Improving our running like anything in life is a process. It involves questioning and knowing and more questioning.

Take as an example the person who says “I want to lose weight” or “I want to run faster” or I want to run “farther” or  “ I want to run injury free” or even “ I want to improve my life” in any  other way. Once our purpose is clear, then shining the flashlight of awareness on our current life in relation to what we want brings to light the actions necessary to achieve full satisfaction.

In the case of the person who wants to lose weight there is only a vague apprehension of something that seems desirable. Many questions are yet to be asked to define the true intent.
We know the “quick fix” attitude and the disassociation of mind and body that is prevalent in industrialized countries. But I want to propose that truer mastery, and more fulfillment comes from the elegant integration of our actions with our purpose, that is the applying of our whole selves to the satisfaction of what we want. We can never apply ourselves well to something we have not yet cared to define. To succeed at or enjoy anything then requires that we grow in self awareness. If we want to run injury free we need to ask questions. Do I want to run two to three miles, three times per week at a non competitive pace? Do I want to run injury free as I train for an ironman distance race? Can you see that injury free means two different things here?  The idea of injury free has to be defined much more specifically and then you can learn how to do it? You could integrate all of your actions to produce the specific result.

Let’s say you want to run faster.  Again this is vague and meaningless until it is questioned. Do you want to run faster in a 5K? Perhaps you want to run faster in the mile distance, or at a sprint distance. Do you just want to add a slight bit more potential for speed in your weekly fun runs? Do you want more endurance? What do you want to do? Do you like ultra running, or do you just want to jog your first mile?  Your actions would be very different for each of these outcomes.

Here is a radical idea. We do not run with our feet. We do not run with our knees, or our hips. We especially do not run with our legs. We do not act with our parts. We act by organizing our entire selves to do something. We may have pain in our feet, legs, knees, hips, etc. But that is not where the problem is. The problem is in our whole self organization. I could also bring in the idea of society and convention such as wearing tight shoes. But that is for later.  Imagine that you always stand and run on the balls of your feet because you always look down at the ground and bend forward at the waist. Can you see how this quick example of movement would be a possible cause, one of very many of foot pain?

The learning process is one of continually defining ourselves and learning to use ourselves better. It is truly a process of finding satisfaction. I want to give you an example lesson to illustrate what we are talking about here.  I hope that you can take just a few minutes to do and enjoy this lesson. It is from a classic ATM ( Awareness Through Movement ) lesson.

I intend to give you all the information you need to succeed. But if you need more you can always work with me. Working with my online coaching can take you much farther than I can take you through words. Enjoy your running to the max. J   Run strong forever! - Scott
Next time we will talk more specifically about injuries.
Scott Forrester
Free e-book The Runners Body/Mind at www.transcendent-running.com

No comments:

Post a Comment